Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Back Porch

As I sit here on my back porch on a beautiful late spring/early summer evening in Indiana, I can't help but feel an overwhelming sense of contentment.  I am so incredibly blessed to live in such a gorgeous place; the birds are singing, the sun is setting, and here I sit, able to relax and drink in God’s blessings.  
This serene backdrop is a welcome change from the hectic and jam-packed past 3 and a half months of my life; what a wild ride!  I was fortunate enough to play 41 shows in 13 different states across the Midwest and Southeast since the end of January.  With 15,000 miles and a new single under my belt, as well as an over-abundance of new friends/fans, I am relishing this new-found rest and relaxation.  It has been a time to catch up with my family whom I have seemingly neglected for the past 3 and 1/2 months.  The furthest I have driven has been across town to play golf with my grandpa.  I must say, I am kind of enjoying not spending my days driving in my car!
I have resisted the temptation of work as much as possible since finishing my tour, but I can't help it if my job is also my favorite hobby.  I had a couple meetings the past week, scheduled more for the next few upcoming weeks (I mean, I am trying to promote my new single “Back Home Again (Indiana)” to country music radio here in Indiana), and I also wrote a new song, which I am really excited to get recorded and release towards the end of the summer.  I also began to route my fall tour.  But tonight, I am not doing any of that; I’m just enjoying this beautiful evening from my back porch.  
The back porch has kind of become a haven for me in the days/nights since returning home from the road.  I’ve used it as an office to work, a dining room to eat dinner, and a place just to chill and enjoy the beautiful weather with family, friends, and myself.  It’s a great place to read, write, and think, and it’s a great place to converse.  It’s the perfect place to begin my day with a cup of coffee in the morning, and it is also the perfect place to unwind at night with a pint of Upland beer.  
Sitting here this evening, I am tempted to reflect on where I’ve been and where I’m headed.  But in doing so, I would missing out on the greatest gift: the present.  The purples and reds of the sky amidst the setting sun.  The growing calm of the impending nightfall.  
This summer, this back porch will undoubtedly be the place where many more meals and conversations are shared, songs are written, tours are planned, gigs are booked, work is completed, and beers are enjoyed.  But tonight, it’s simply the place where I sit and enjoy life.  I am content in the now, on this back porch.

3 comments:

  1. I could almost feel the wind and hear the birds as I read this. Looking forward to hearing more about your summer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow man. Deep thoughts. I enjoyed reading this... it put me in great mind of myself... sitting on my front porch in the hills of kentucky.... my makers mark is gone and im pulling my last drag of a camel... but yet I still as you do the same thing... sit back and reflect on where I've been and where im going... I say hold on Bubby... its going to be a bumpy ride... but as long as you keep the ones who love I near... they seem to smooth over the pot holes for you... almost as if they wasn't even there

    ReplyDelete